PDF requirements and recommendations
Format your PDF (using Adobe Acrobat ® up to PDF version 1.6)
- All the pages must be merged in one file
- Single page cropped (no double page spreads) and remove all crop marks
- All page sizes must be consistent with a maximum surface area of 400 square inches (20inch X 20inch)
- All pages must be in the same orientation. Either in Portrait or in Landscape mode
- All pages must be in the correct order. You will not be able to re-order the pages post upload, although you can replace pages.
- Do not include security settings
- Avoid text as images. Only use “real” text (FONTS) so your digital edition looks sharp even on zoom and can be found by search engines
- Embed ALL fonts in your publication – Use fonts that are installed on your system AND are permitted to be embedded ( – avoid CID type fonts – )
- All the layers on each page of the PDF should be merged and flattened
- Flatten all transparencies
- No embedded scripts, media(video/audio) or buttons will be maintained post upload to the system
- PDF Comments will NOT be shown after upload
- 500MB maximum filesize
- 1000 pages maximum
- We do not support PDF version 1.7+
- Create links and bookmarks. Your digital edition will maintain links and create articles from bookmarks post upload to our system. We even support nested bookmarks! (NOTE ON BOOKMARKS – Make sure you are linking to a page number and not a Named Destination.)Of course you can use our AutoLink tool to create links from URLs as well.
NOTE: Number of links supported by system is a Maximum of 20,000 and high link volume in a converted PDF can affect Issue performance.
- Avoid low quality images by saving in at least 200 dpi resolution
- Our system by default downsamples all images to 125DPI, however you can increase that to 150 or 200DPI at the title level
If you see any problems with gradients post conversion, and the above forced vector/engine options to not work you can try to Print to PDF from Adobe Acrobat using the Adobe PDF print plugin
Audio: Upload your audio in MP3 format only. MP3 is viewable on both desktop and mobile platforms.
Video: You can upload your video in multiple formats. Video formats that our system accepts are mp4, mpg, mpeg, mov, ogv, ogg, wmv, avi, flv
The converted FLV video file will be displayed on the desktop and our system converts from FLV to MP4 file for view on mobile devices that do not support FLASH .
Audio codec: AAC
Video codec: h264
Video bitrate: 400k
FLV container: FLV
MP4 container: MP4
MP4 size: 480×320
The MP4 size means we actually force the video into 480X320. We did this in order to get the conversion playing across multiple platforms (android and iOS). This might change if we determine that new OS versions on these devices are able to handle the open sized Mp4.
We force a container with an area of 480X320 (3:2 aspect ratio) for all devices when placing the converted video. We did this because we found playback problems on devices like the Android.
The reason you see black bars is because lets say you have a 16:9 ratio video, when you put that into a 3:2 container you will see the 16:9 viewport with a 3:2 video inside it.
When you open the original video in VLC it plays it in the correct aspect ratio. Hence the reason why you don’t see the black bars.
We use Adobe Flash player to view videos on our system.
SWF Animation Recommendations
Here are some general guidelines for Flash developers to follow in order to get the best results:
While actionscript is allowed, DO NOT include any scripting that modifies the position or dimension of elements causing those elements to exit the main stage’s area
We use both the stage dimensions and animation dimensions to calculate your content’s proportions. For best results, create a box (can be transparent) on the first frame on the main stage with the exact same dimensions as your stage.
Keep all movie clips and animations inside a mask that is contained within the stage to ensure your animations stay within your stage
DO NOT embed FLV videos into your SWF’s – upload an FLV file instead
Publish your SWF animations in AS3 (actionscript 3.0) ONLY – AS2 is not supported as an embeddable SWF in the new Flipbook 3.0. (it will continue to work in your existing Flipbook 2.0 issues)
Further technical rules for developers to follow in creating AS 3.0 SWF files:
first frame must be exactly the size and shape of the stage
entire stage on frame one must be filled
no masking allowed on the first frame
no nested movie clips with animations or masking or code on first frame
no code on first frame
Other Notes for Developers:
application will explicitly call gotoAndPlay(1) on swf upon loading for prerender, due to nature of our application any code in frame one might be executed multiple times. you need to accommodate your code and assets accordingly.
if you need to have masking and interactivity it can exist in frame two which can have “stop()”;
frame one assets might be transparent.
frame one execution might be omitted at times so there should be no vital content on frame one and content replication on frame2 might be required.
Flipbook 3.0 End User Technical Requirements
- We recommend Windows Vista or later.
- The bare minimum is Windows XP.
- We recommend Intel based Mac machines running Mac OS X 10.4+
- PPC (Power PC) Mac machines will not support the desktop platform due to it’s lack of support of flash 10+ (see below.)
Note for all browsers, because Adobe Flash is currently not supported by 64 bit browsers, you’ll need to use a 32 bit browser in order for the flipbook desktop platform to function. Adobe reports they are working on a 64 bit version of Flash. (unknown release date.)
- Recommended: Internet Explorer 7 and up.
- Minimum requirements: Internet Explorer 6 (as tested on Windows XP, follow recommendation above for other Windows operating systems.)
- Mac no longer supports Internet Explorer.
- Windows recommended/minimum requirements: Google Chrome 184.108.40.206 and up.
- Mac OS recommended/minimum requirements: Google Chrome 5 and up.
- Windows recommended/minimum requirements: Fire Fox 3.0 and up.
- Mac OS recommended/minimum requirements: Pending further testing we recommend you use the latest version of Fire Fox on this operating system.
- Windows recommended/minimum requirements: Safari 3.1 and up.
- Mac OS recommended/minimum requirements: Pending further testing we recommend you use the latest version of Safari on this operating system.
- Windows recommended/minimum requirements: Opera 11.0 and up.
- Mac OS recommended/minimum requirements: Pending further testing we recommend you use the latest version of Opera on this operating system.
- Recommended/Minimum requirements: Adobe Flash 10.1 and up.